The CelebrateYOU Project is part of our Youth Health and Wellbeing - School Based Programs and aims to promote body confidence and increase self-esteem in young people.
The CelebrateYOU Project is an evidence-informed body confidence and self-esteem program
designed for young people aged 12-18.
The program has been created by The
City of Greater Geelong’s Youth Community Development team, utilising resources
and materials from The Butterfly Foundation, Reach Out and the Dove Self-Esteem
The CelebrateYOU Project has been designed in
response to the significant increase in body image related concerns amongst
young people in Australia.
The purpose of The CelebrateYOU Project is to address
this need on a local level, and provide young people within the Greater Geelong
region with up-to-date information and resources regarding body image related
issues in a safe and supportive environment.
In doing so it hopes to break down
many of the myths and misconceptions surrounding body image, highlighting that
everybody, regardless of their age, background and gender identity, can
struggle with such issues.
primary aims of The CelebrateYOU Project are to:
- Promote body confidence and increase
self-esteem in young people.
- Equip young people with strategies to build positive body image.
- Encourage media literacy surrounding
professional and personal media platforms.
- Encourage help seeking if/when
needed and provide information on local and national services that they
- Increase awareness of appearance ideals and how pressures surrounding body image are manufactured and perpetuated throughout society.
- Develop self and body confidence that celebrates diversity and uniqueness.
- Reduce stigma surrounding body and appearance insecurities and debunk myths surrounding eating disorders.
- Build media literacy and promote resilience to assist young people in rejecting professional and social media images and messages that promote unhealthy appearance ideals.
- Encourage help seeking and support for self and others.
Students in years:
- 7 to 8 (juniors)
- 9 to 12 (seniors)
Flexible delivery options from 90 minute to 3 hour sessions.
- Group sizes
between 12-50 students
- All classes in a year level required to compete
program over the duration of the year.
projector/TV screen and sound/audio equipment (onsite delivery).
staff present for all sessions.
Facilitated by the City's Youth staff at conclusion of workshop, via questionnaire.
To request one of our programs at your school or organisation please complete our online program request form.
Request a program
Booking requests will be responded to by one of the Youth Development team within five working days and we request you make your booking enquiry at least 3 weeks prior to the preferred program date.