The City has developed a draft social housing plan and are seeking your feedback.
Housing affordability is constantly in the news. After a decade of rising house prices fewer people are purchasing a home. Private rental costs are causing serious financial hardship for many households.
Social Housing is one solution to providing people safe, secure and affordable accommodation. Social Housing is rental housing provided to lowest income households and rent is paid at a scale related to their earnings. Safe, secure and affordable housing is fundamental to everyone's sense of wellbeing and ability to achieve their own prosperity.
With funding from the Victorian Governments Social Housing Investment Program, the City of Greater Geelong has develop a draft plan on how to increase the supply of social housing to meet growing demand.
The plan was developed through a number of community and industry consultations, combined with an analysis of local housing demand and land data.
To ensure Geelong remains a place that people want to live, that is inclusive of all people and provides housing that suits the needs of its growing population: long term planning for social housing supply is very important.
The Draft Social Housing Plan 2018-2041 recommends six key strategies for the City:
- Leadership - advocating for an increase in social housing in public policy and in the local community.
- Investment - investing in social housing by contributing City land and cash to leverage significant funding from State and Commonwealth Governments.
- Partnerships - developing partnership agreements with the Commonwealth an Victorian Governments to expand the supply of social housing in Greater Geelong.
- Planning - utilizing recent amendments to the Planning & Environment Act to negotiate the inclusion of new social housing within new residential developments where development approvals have added value to land.
- Urban Revitalisation - contributing to public urban improvements in Norlane, Corio and Whittington.
- Capacity Building - developing the capacity of the City of Greater Geelong to deliver the implementation of the Plan.
SURVEY: Once you have read the attached plan and recommendations, we invite you to complete the survey to add your feedback for consideration in developing the final Social Housing Plan for Council in early 2020. If you require a hardcopy of the survey please email [email protected]
ASSISTANCE: If you have questions about current social housing please contact:
- Salvo Connect - Adult Accommodation Services: 1800 825 955
- Barwon Child, Youth & Family - Youth Accommodation Services (15-25yrs): 1800 825 955
- Samaritan House - Men overnight: 5248 5227 / 0407 341 025
- Towards Home + (NEAMI) Outreach to people sleeping rough: 1300 275 811
Long Term Community and Social Housing:
Department of Health & Human Services Office of Housing - Victorian Housing Register : 5226 4540
The Final Social Housing Plan 2020 - 2041 was endorsed by Council 25 February 2020 following community consultation.
For more information click here