Improving the health and wellbeing of our community where we live, learn, work and play.
We take a unique 'complex systems approach' to reducing population level chronic disease risk. This approach aims for large-scale reach across the Geelong population, initiating action on the systems that influence the health and well-being of individuals, families and communities.
We aim to place good health at the centre of our everyday lives by creating many health promoting environments in the places where locals spend their time – including childcare centres, schools, workplaces, shops, food outlets and sporting clubs. It is applying a long-term approach to prevention that creates healthier environments where people live, learn, work and play.
The following health and wellbeing priorities will be our focus over the next four years.
- Tackling climate change and its impact on health
- Increasing healthy eating
- Increasing active living
- Demonstrating and promoting gender equity practices
- Improving mental wellbeing and social connection
Read more about our health and wellbeing priorities, included Our Community Plan 2021-2025.
- Support evidence based initiatives that assist individuals, communities, workplaces and families to improve health and wellbeing
- Engage, educate and influence the community, including council, businesses, schools and early learning settings through providing resources, workshops and professional development
- Influence policies, framework, regulations, land use and planning to include health in decision making
- Empower capable and committed leaders and organisations to champion change
- Achievement Program for early learning settings and schools
- Health Champions/Ambassadors
- Research and evaluation
- Social marketing
- Systems interventions
- Be active - more people, more active, more often.