Waste water management systems - Septic systems

On site waste water systems, often referred to as "Septics" are options for some properties (residential, rural, commercial and industrial) within the City of Greater Geelong that are unsewered.

When considering buying a block of land or building on a block, check with Barwon Waterto find out if the property is serviced by sewers, or if sewer extension work is proposed and what time line is proposed for the block to be serviced.

What you need to know

You will need to familiarise yourself with the Onsite Wastewater Management - Code of Practice, which is relevant for any unsewered property within the City of Greater Geelong.

What you need to do

If the property is unsewered, you will need to either pump your liquid waste long distance to the nearest sewer or install an approved onsite wastewater system.

If you are considering pump to sewer systems you will need to approach Barwon Water to discuss access, approval and costing for this method of disposal.

If you want to install an approved onsite wastewater system you, your plumber or builder can make application to us using our Septic Tank Application Form.

A full, up-to-date list of all approved systems can be found on the EPA website.

Where the flow rate of the waste exceeds 5000 litres per day, the Environment Protection Authority of Victoria, not Council, is the regulatory authority responsible for issuing Permits and supervising the Onsite Wastewater System Installation.

What we will do

We will assess your application and if approved we will issue you with a Permit to Install/Alter a Septic Tank System.

We can only approve Onsite Wastewater Systems that have:

  • been approved by the State Environment Protection Authority
  • a Certificate of Approval (CA) Number
  • daily flow rates not exceeding 5000 litres per day.

You must have this permit prior to installation of the waste water system by your plumber.

There may be other inspections of the system at different stages of installation and connection to your waste water. This will depend on the type of system you have installed.

We will liaise with either you or your plumber for the various inspection stages.

A final inspection required to sign off on the system and give it the approval. When a final inspection is required you or your plumber must telephone the Environmental Health Officer on 03 5272 4411  or email us - [email protected] to book the inspection.

When it has been established that the system meets the requirements we will issue an Approval to Use a Septic Tank System.

You can then start to use your waste water system.

You may need to give this Approval to Use document to your Building Surveyor before they can issue your Certificate of Occupancy.

Page last updated: Monday, 6 July 2020