Accommodation standards - Rooming houses and motels

Several types of businesses providing accommodation services need to be registered under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act to ensure basic hygiene standards are met. 

We register and monitor businesses such as:

  • residential accommodation
  • hotels
  • motels
  • hostels
  • student dormitories
  • holiday camps
  • rooming houses
  • some bed and breakfast operations.

Other types of accommodation are exempt from registration under this Act, as their registration or operation is covered by a different type of authority or Act, such as retirement homes.

We regularly inspect these registered businesses to ensure that they comply with the standards under the Act.

If you have any concerns about the standard of any of these types of premises you can contact us.

For questions, complaints or concerns about the standard of private accommodation contact should be made with Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Where an accommodation business also offers meals as part of the accommodation fee or at an additional cost, this part of the business  would need registration under the Food Act. 

Page last updated: Monday, 29 June 2020