Vehicle crossings

A vehicle crossing is a connection in the road reserve between a road and a property boundary.

A vehicle crossing:

  • provides access for vehicles to move between a road and a driveway. These connections often cross over a footpath, nature strip or kerb.
  • may be constructed using different types of materials subject to approval (for example: concrete, gravel, grasscrete).

In residential areas, concrete is the most common type of vehicle crossing.

In rural areas, vehicle crossings are often gravel. Some vehicle crossings require culverts underneath to assist stormwater flows in heavy rain events.

When a property owner wants to install or change a vehicle crossing, a permit must be obtained by the contractor undertaking the works. Before applying for a permit, you must book a pre-approval inspection.

Changes include widening, relocation or construction of a new vehicle crossing. Applicants are responsible for constructing the vehicle crossing in accordance with a permit’s conditions, and for reinstating any public assets damaged during works.

Before applying, we will inspect the location to ensure there is enough space to construct and change a crossing, assess the impact on public safety, and ensure existing assets in the road reserve are protected.


Maintenance responsibilities

Vehicle crossings (including culverts) are private assets – property owners are responsible for maintaining crossings and culverts.

The land underneath a vehicle crossing is part of the road reserve. For local roads we own, we are responsible for the land and any City-owned assets in the road reserves (for example: roads, footpaths, drains, signs).

For state owned roads, the Victorian Government is the responsible authority. Further information is available on the Department of Transport and Planning’s crossovers page.

Page last updated: Thursday, 18 April 2024