On our streets - whose job is it?

Keeping a modern city running smoothly requires many different agencies to work together.

This illustration details who is responsible for different parts of street infrastructure and services.

Whose job is it?

To dispel a few misconceptions, we do not look after:

  • electricity and gas (check your supplier)
  • water mains or sewerage (Barwon Water)
  • main roads or bridges (VicRoads)
  • air quality (EPA)
  • foreshore management (Barwon Coast or Bellarine Bayside)
  • magpies (Department of Sustainability and Environment)
  • snakes (private snake catchers)
  • Barwon River (Corangamite Catchment Management Authority)
  • new bus shelter requests (Public Transport Victoria)

A note on roads

Responsibility for roads can be confusing. As a guide, we are generally responsible for local roads and VicRoads is responsible for main roads. The Melway Street Directory colour codes the eight categories of road and who looks after them. See the map symbols page. Or read more on roads and responsible authority.

Page last updated: Monday, 1 July 2019