Recycling starts in the supermarket aisle with the types of products you select and packaging they come in.
Packaging serves a range of useful purposes, from protecting food and other goods to providing information about the product inside.
Although we have no control over the type of package, we have a choice about what we take home - and what will end up in our recycling bin.
So while you’re wheeling the trolley around the aisles you can minimise your recycling needs by:
- Choosing items with minimal or no packaging.
- Avoiding buying products with excessive, multi-layer packaging.
- Buying products in bulk. This will minimise packaging and save you money.
- Buying refills instead of products in new packaging.
- Washing and reusing plastic plates, bowls and cutlery.
Use our recycling guide to find disposal options for different items.