There are specific safety requirements for prescribed temporary structures.
The following information provides a guide to the minimum safety requirements for temporary structures.
Fire extinguishers and fire blankets
||Type of fire extinguisher required
|Kitchen with deep fat fryer
||One x 40B(E) (approximately 4.5 kilograms) dry chemical powder extinguisher and one fire blanket or
|One x 2A 4F (approximately 9 litres) wet chemical extinguisher and one fire blanket
|Kitchen without a deep fat fryer
||One x2A 40B(E) (4.5 kilograms) dry chemical extinguisher and one fire blanket
|Electrical generator or switchboard equipment
||One x 2A 20B(E) (2.0 kilograms) or one x 2A 40B(E) (4.5 kilograms) dry chemical (dependant on capacity of electrical equipment)
|Storage of flammable liquids and or gas containers
||One x 2A 40BE (4.5 kilograms) dry chemical powder extinguisher.
|Marquees stalls and the like
||One x 4.5 kilograms AB(E) dry chemical powder extinguisher for every 100 square metres or part thereof or
|One x 9 litre water type stored pressure extinguisher for every 200 square metres or part thereof located adjacent to an exit door
- Fire extinguishers and fire blankets must be located adjacent to and at least 2 metres clear of all generators, switchboards, cooking facilities, flammable liquids, and gas containers.
- Two or more risks may be covered by the same portable extinguisher providing that it has the appropriate rating and size.
- All fire extinguishers and fire blankets to be mounted on hooks or brackets with the base of extinguishers not less than 100 millimetres above the ground/floor and the top of the extinguisher/fire blanket not more than 1.2 metres above the ground/floor. Where the possibility of dislodgement or damage exists extinguishers may be located at a height greater than 1.2 metres provided that accessibility is maintained.
- All fire extinguishers and fire blankets to have identification/instructional signs located at least 2 metres above the ground/floor and directly above the extinguishers.
- All fire extinguishers should be checked to ensure that they are fully charged (indicated by the arrow on the pressure gauge where fitted – located in the green section). Any anti tamper seals should be intact and the yellow maintenance indicator tag should be securely attached.
- To ensure that fire extinguishers work and comply with current legislation a suitably experienced person must carry out maintenance at six monthly intervals and record the maintenance by stamping the yellow maintenance tag indicator that is attached to the extinguisher.
Gas cylinders must adequately
be secured and operated as specified by AS 1596 2014 & AG601 2016 .
The gas cylinders must be checked
and approved by the Office of Gas Safety and Victorian Workcover Authority
prior to installation.
Storage of goods or rubbish
Combustible materials or
rubbish should not be stored near switchboards, cooking equipment, or the like,
as they are likely sources of fuel for a fire. The removal of combustible
materials and rubbish on a regular basis is essential in providing a safe
Days of Total Fire Ban
On days of Total Fire Ban it
is a requirement to obtain a permit from the relevant fire authority (CFA) to
use an open flame for any purpose, including cooking in temporary stalls / marquees
and the like, or in the open.
fee of $350 (allows for a maximum 1.5 hours assessment) for each structure
must be paid when making the application.
Please ensure that all required information as outlined
above is provided when making application as assessment time exceeding 1.5
hours will incur additional fees at $147.50 per hour or part thereof.
All relevant approvals must be obtained
prior to erecting any temporary structures or occupation of the site. Failure
to comply with these requirements may result in penalties and fines being
issued including removal of structures.
For further information on any of the
issues covered in the “Fact Sheet” please phone our
Building Department on 03 5272 4450 or visit 100 Brougham Street, Geelong for technical advice.