POPE permits and siting approvals

There are times when you may need a place of public entertainment occupancy permit or a siting approval for a prescribed temporary structure.

Please use these questions to help you determine which permits you may need.

Question Answer
No Yes
1 Is the Building or Place / Venue used or intended to be used for the purpose of Public Entertainment? Occupancy Permit/Siting Approval not required. Go to Q2
Note: Public Entertainment is defined as an Entertainment or meeting to which admission may ordinarily be gained by members of the Public.
2 Does the Building or Place / Venue have an area greater than 500 square metres? Occupancy Permit not required
Go to Q8
Go to Q3
3 Is the Building or Place / Venue enclosed or substantially enclosed? Go to Q4 Go to Q5
Note: Enclosed or substantially enclosed is considered to be a controlled space (by fencing, structures, or natural features) that a reasonable person would see as being an exclusive area.
4 Is admission to the Building or Place/Venue gained by payment of money or giving of other consideration? Go to Q8 Go to Q5
5 Is the event organized and controlled by a Community Based Organisation.  For the purpose of definition a “community-based organisation means a body, whether or not a corporate body that –
  • is not established primarily for the purpose of profit or gain; and
  • does not distribute any part of any profit or gain made in the conduct of its activities to any members of the organisation; and
  • operates in a community wholly for:
    • a philanthropic or benevolent purpose, including the promotion of art, culture, science, religion, education or charity; or
    • any sporting or recreational purpose, including the benefiting of any sporting or recreational club or association.
Go to Q7 Go to Q6
6 Does the number of persons attending the community based organisation event exceed 5000 at any one time? Go to Q8 Go to Q7
7 Is the Building or Place / Venue contained within a Prescribed Place of Public Entertainment? For example: Kardinia Park (Geelong) or Melbourne Cricket Ground. Application for Occupancy Permit for a Place of Public Entertainment to be made to the Municipal Building Surveyor. Application for Permit for a Prescribed Place of Public Entertainment to be made to the Victorian Building Authority.
Note: Private Building Surveyors may only issue a Permit for a Place of Public Entertainment where a related Building Permit is required for Building Work.
8 Does the proposal include any Prescribed Temporary Structures, such as:
  • Tents, Marquees or Booths with a floor area greater than 100 square metres.
  • Seating stands for more than 20 persons.
  • Stages or platforms (including sky borders and sky wings) exceeding 150 square metres floor area.
  • Pre-fabricated buildings exceeding 100 square metres.
Siting Approval not required. Occupancy Permits for Prescribed Temporary Structures must obtained from the Victorian Building Authority.
Siting of any prescribed temporary structures must be approved by the Municipal Building Surveyor.
Erection of Prescribed Temporary Structures must be carried out by the Relevant Registered Building Practitioners.
Certificate of Compliance-Inspection must be issued by Relevant Building Practitioners when structures erected.
Certificate of Compliance-Inspection and Occupancy Certificate to be displayed on the structure.

Need to know more...

Contact us for assistance.

Page last updated: Wednesday, 9 September 2020