Register your pets

To help keep your pets safe, you must register your cat or dog with us before they are 3 months old, and renew this registration by 10 April every year.

If your pet is registered, we can return them to you if they get lost or injured. Registration fees also fund services like dog parks and pounds.

When you register you must provide evidence of microchipping and desexing. Your vet will be able to give you a certificate.

If your pet is less than 6 months old and not yet desexed, your vet can provide a letter that can be used instead of a desexing certificate.

If you have more than 2 cats or 2 dogs, you will need to apply for a multiple animal permit after you finish your pet registration if you do not already have one.



Pet registration fees are due by 10 April each year; half-price fees apply from 10 October.


You are eligible for the concession rate if you have a Pension Concession Card, Veterans Affairs Card or Veterans Affairs War Widow Card.

Pet registration fees for 2023-2024 (from 10 October 2023)

Registration categories Regular ($) Concession ($)
Desexed and microchipped 46.00 22.00
Desexed and unable to be microchipped - evidence from vet required 64.00 32.00
Microchipped and not desexed 206.00 103.00
Unable to be microchipped or desexed - evidence from vet required 202.00 101.00
Over 10 years of age 71.00 36.00
Restricted breed 285.00 285.00
Menacing dog 234.00 234.00
Dangerous dog (residential) 285.00 285.00
Dangerous dog (guard dog) 206.00 206.00
Member of an approved canine association1 71.00 36.00
Working dog 71.00 36.00
Registered breeder 71.00 36.00
Obedience trained dog from an approved obedience training organisation² 71.00 36.00
Guide Dogs Victoria
Hearing Dog
Seeing Eye Dogs Australia
Government Dogs (State and Commonwealth)
0.00 0.00
 Transfer from another council (registration must be for current period) 0.00 0.00
Desexed and microchipped cat 35.00 17.00
Microchipped and unable to be desexed - evidence from vet required 61.00 31.00
Unable to be desexed or microchipped - evidence from vet required 155.00 77.00
Over 10 years of age 54.00 26.00
Member of an approved feline association3 54.00 26.00
Registered breeder 54.00 26.00
Transfer from another council (registration must be for current period) 0.00 0.00

  1. Approved Australian canine organisations are Dogs Victoria, Master Dog Breeders Association and Greyhound Racing Victoria.
  2. Approved obedience training organisations are: The Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc, The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc, Dogs Victoria and Four Paws K9 Training.
  3. Approved Australian feline organisations are: Australian National Cats Inc, Feline Control Council of Victoria Inc and the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria.

In addition to financial membership of an approved organisation, the dogs or cats also need to be registered with that applicable organisation.

Every cat and dog must be microchipped.

Microchipping is a permanent form of identification which will helps us to identify pets and reunite them with their owners. Each microchip has a unique identification number that will last for the life of the animal.

When your pet is microchipped, you will receive a certificate of identification from the licensed registry where information is kept.

There are two organisations that manage the microchip records for pets in Australia:

If you move house or change ownership, you need to update your records with these organisations.

When you complete your pet registration, we will send you a pet registration tag. You must attach this tag to your pet's collar.

If your pet is too small to wear a tag, please contact us to request a small pet tag.

This tag is another way we can identify your pet if they wander away from home.

If you have lost your pet's registration tag we will replace it free of charge in any of our Customer Service Centres.

If you are unable to complete your registration online, you can download our animal registration application form, complete it and return it with required documentation and the registration fee to:

City of Greater Geelong
PO Box 104

Once processed you will be provided with a receipt and registration tags for your pets.

Alternatively, you may wish to return your completed documentation and pay the registration fee at any of our Customer Services Centres.

You may be eligible for a pet registration refund if your cat or dog has passed away.

Page last updated: Friday, 8 March 2024