To help keep pets safe, pet owners are required by law to register their cats or dogs with their local council when the pet is three months of age.
There are many good reasons and benefits to registering your pets and it's a requirement of the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
If you'd like to register more than two cats or two dogs you'll need to apply for a multiple pet permit.
Before you start
- dogs must be microchipped
- cats must be microchipped and desexed.
To complete this you'll need to:
Start a cat or dog registration
- provide your pet's details like: name, gender, breed, colour/markings, date of birth
- attach certificates of microchipping (required) and desexing (required for cats)
- attach certificates for guide, working or law enforcement dogs to qualify for fee exemptions if applicable
- provide details if your dog is a menacing or dangerous dog
- provide details of the pet owner
- provide pension information to get the fee discount
- pay registration fees by credit card.
On completion of the online registration for your pet/s you will receive a tax invoice receipt email, and we will post out your pet registration tag/s.
Other ways to register
Download our animal registration application form, complete it and return it with required documentation to Council by:
- attending any of our Customer Service Centres or
- post, including the registration fee to:
City of Greater Geelong
PO Box 104
GEELONG VIC 3220
Once processed you will be provided with a receipt and registration tag/s for your pets.
Note: fees can be paid with credit card, cheque, money order or cash (only at Customer Service Centres).