To help keep pets safe, pet owners are required by law to register their cats or dogs with their local council when the pet is three months of age.
There are many good reasons and benefits to registering your pets and it's a requirement of the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
You can register up to 2 cats and 2 dogs online. If you have more than the permitted number of animals, you will need to apply for a multiple animal permit.
You need to be over 18 to register your pet. It not, it can be registered in your parent or guardian's name.
You may be eligible for reduced fees based on the information you provide.
- a credit card (Visa or Mastercard) to pay the registration fee
- your pets microchip number
- a desexing certificate (or exemption letter from your vet if your pet is less than 6 months old)
- current pet registration if you are already registered with a different council
- your pension card to be eligible for a fee reduction
Additional information if applicable:
Start a cat or dog registration
- membership of an approved association
- obedience papers
- breeding license
- tax return for proof of working dog status
On completion of the online registration for your pet/s you will receive a tax invoice receipt email, and we will post out your pet registration tag/s.
Other ways to register
Download our animal registration application form, complete it and return it with required documentation and the registration fee to:
City of Greater Geelong
PO Box 104
GEELONG VIC 3220
Once processed you will be provided with a receipt and registration tag/s for your pets.