Neighbourhood cat issues

Cats trespassing on private property can cause nuisance by defecating in gardens, fighting, making noise or attacking wildlife.

Cat curfew, animal regulations and your responsibilities

There is a cat curfew in place in our municipality which means your cat must be confined in a secured environment (that is: indoors, sheds, enclosure) within your property from sunset to sunrise.

Additionally it is the responsibility of cat owners to ensure that their cat/s are not roaming onto neighbours’ property unless your neighbour has no objection and has given permission.

This prevents damage to other people’s gardens and prevents your cat from getting involved in fights, being hit by a car and/or catching feline diseases.

What can happen when your cat is not welcome

We receive a large number of requests from members of the public to loan cat cages for the purpose of catching cats that are trespassing onto their property. 

If a resident captures your cat on their property, they should advise us as soon as possible after capture or take the cat either to the Geelong Animal Welfare Society or return your cat back to you.

If we can identify that you are the owner of the cat that has been captured, we will make contact with you to discuss further.

If your cat continues to enter or remains on the private property, we may take further action by issuing an Infringement Notice or having the matter heard before the Magistrates' Court.

Roaming issues

If you are experiencing cats roaming on your property, you can:

Report a cat nuisance or trespass

We can provide you with a cat cage free of charge to help you capture unwelcome cats. If you capture a stray cat please ensure it is contained. Once secure, one of the Animal Management Officers will then collect the cat from your property.

If a cat is captured in a cage they are to be treated humanely at all times, kept in a warm place and we recommend popping a towel over the cage so they are not so frightened.

Need to know more...

Have a look at these websites:

  • Who's For Cats provides you with information about not feeding cats unless you are prepared to adopt the cat, etc.

  • the Department of Agriculture's Cats page has some material regarding the care of cats which you might find of interest.

Page last updated: Wednesday, 3 October 2018