Within the City of Greater Geelong, unless otherwise designated by signage, all public open spaces are designated On-leash – controlled areas. Public open space includes roads, footpaths, beaches, reserves, parks, playgrounds and other council lands and buildings.
More specifically, these include:
- all roads, footpaths, nature strips and shared paths
- shopping centres
- high use pedestrian and/or cycling areas (such as the Waterfront Precinct)
- sporting complexes and reserves during times of organised sports
- at Council sanctioned/approved events, markets etc
- shared used paths or walking trails and including areas either side of the abutting edge of the path (except those designated Off-lease – Supervised Area)
- dogs being within and/or tethered within ten metres of children’s play equipment
- dogs being within and/or tethered within ten metres of picnic and barbecue areas (as defined by council provided barbecues and/or tables and associated seating)
- in areas designated as environmentally significant
- jetties and piers
- water bodies such as creeks, rivers and lakes unless signposted as a dedicated swimming area for dogs
- beach foreshore and coastline areas (except those designated otherwise).