We have designed a criterium track for use by cycling events at Eastern Park.
The criterium circuit caters for event organsiers and local community groups alike.
- The event organiser applies to the City to host an event within the municipality using our event application form.
- The event organiser submits an application to close a road. The application to Close a Road must be submitted with the Event Application and make reference to the Traffic Management Plan (TMP) – on the reverse side of this fact sheet.
- Following event approval, the City will notify the public of the event via City News. This will cost will be sent to the event organiser (direct cost to advertise). City of Greater Geelong staff will also notify groups within Eastern Park of the road closure including the:
- Golf Club
- Council Depot
- Botanic Gardens
- Soccer Club
- Geelong Conference Centre
- Geelong Shuttle Bus service and
- Emergency Services
Traffic management is a major component in event approval of the Eastern Park Criterium Track to ensure the safety of event participants and park users. We have developed a standard Traffic Management Plan for the use of this circuit. Event organisers must use this plan where use of the criterium track in Eastern Park is approved.
The options available in implementing the Traffic Management Plan include:
- engage a traffic management company to set up and remove the required signage.
- club volunteers erect signage as outlined in the Traffic Management Plan. Please note that event organiser volunteers must be accredited in traffic management and are required to show proof of their accreditation as part of the approval process. In addition, the event organiser's public liability insurance must cover traffic management activities. Signage will be located at our Corio Street Office and collection and drop off is to occur during business hours (a $1000 bond will be held).
For further details and assistance please contact our Community and Recreation Department by phone on 03 5272 5272 or by email ([email protected]).