The annual Heritage Awards were held at Little Creatures
Brewery last night, Wednesday 12 May, celebrating local efforts to restore,
retain or interpret heritage places in the region.
Held by the Geelong and Region Members Branch of the
National Trust of Australia (Victoria), in conjunction with the City of Greater
Geelong, the Heritage Awards have been held every year since 2009.
Awards are presented in the following categories:
- Restoration of a Heritage Place
- Creative Reuse of a Heritage Place
- New Work/Development within a Heritage Area
- Sustainability and Greening of a Heritage Place
- Public access to a Heritage Place
- Conservation or Interpretation of a Heritage Place, Historic Collection or
Heritage Awards recognise those in our community who have demonstrated
excellence in retention, restoration and reuse of heritage places and
appropriate new work in a heritage area.
heritage includes buildings, gardens and objects, public and private places.
There were ten awards presented at last night’s ceremony.
- Wadawurrung artwork, tennis court, Wrathall Reserve, Indented Head
- ‘Lanberris’, 30 Western Beach Road, Geelong
- Western Beach Boat Yards
- Bow Villa, 38 Preston Street, Geelong West
- Reformed Presbyterian Church, 10 Fenwick Street, Geelong
- Former Scott Hamilton & Co. Building, 126-128 Ryrie Street, Geelong
- 26 Weller Street, Geelong West. (former shops)
- 105 Autumn Street, Geelong West
- ‘Montana’, 53 The Esplanade, Drumcondra
- 3 The Avenue, Ocean Grove
The City’s Heritage Advisor,
Dr David Rowe also gave a presentation about the recipient properties
City of Greater Geelong Mayor Stephanie Asher said the
awards showcased the great efforts by many people in the community to preserve
the history of the region.
places are an integral part of the Greater Geelong community and the Awards are
part of the National Trust and Council's commitment to celebrate and promote
We are blessed to have some really beautiful heritage
buildings and places in our region and we owe a huge thank you to everyone
nominated for a Heritage Award for helping to ensure our local history isn’t
Congratulations to the winners of this year’s awards, we
are so grateful for all your hard work and dedication.