We have one of the largest animal populations of any Victorian municipality, and currently we have over 45,000 registered dogs and cats.
In-line with the goals set out in our Domestic Animal Management Plan, we have introduced an easy online registration process for new registrations and renewals for your dog or cat.
To help keep pets safe, pet owners are required by law to register their cats or dogs with their local council when the pet is three months of age.
There are many good reasons and benefits to registering your pets. You will have access to:
- individualised tags for each registered pet, so our animal management team can reunite them with you if they ever go missing
- facilities such as pounds and shelters, dog poo bins and dog parks
- handy pet resources such as the Park your Pet app, and SMS notifications
- events and programs, such as our annual discounted cat de-sexing offer
- a professional and committed animal management team patrolling our parks and beaches, investigating complaints about dog attacks, animal nuisances and illegal breeding
- education programs for kindergarten and primary school children about preventing dog bites.
You can register new pets online, and if you have requested email renewal notifications via your myGeelong account, you can also pay your registration renewal online using the link on your pet registration renewal email.
Gareth Smith - Director Planning and Development
We know how valued pet ownership is to our residents. The City has one of the largest domestic animal populations of any Victorian municipality.
We encourage residents to use the new service of registering new pets online. This is another example of how we are always looking at ways to make processes easier for our customers.