Yollinko Park is where the Barrabool People of the
Wadawurrung lived prior to European colonisation of the Geelong region in 1827.
Barrabool in Wadawurrung language means ‘rounded hills’. This site, at the
confluence of Kardinia Creek and the Barwon River, offered food in abundance
and shelter from the cold winter winds. In the early 1980s, middens and
artefacts – axes, anvils, spear heads, blades, wooden and stone tools – were
discovered on this site, dating back over 5,000 years. Over many years, the
sites have been harmed.
The name Yollinko Park was chosen by the South Barwon Shire
Council and it was opened in 1992.
Yollinko means ‘sometime before today’ in Wadawurrung language. Aboriginal people believe that as much as
people need the land, the land needs people and that by bringing people into
the heart of the park, it would reactivate the spirit of the place.
While we know that the sculptures and rock art that make up the Yollinko Park Aboriginal Garden date back to 1997.
The beautiful Yollinko Wetlands also feature a diverse
ecosystem and bird hides.
This is site 12 of the NAIDOC Week 2020 online trail.