Multiple animal permits

Under Councils Neighbourhood Amenity Local Law 2014 a multiple animal permit is required if you have more than the prescribed number of cats or dogs on your property.

Multiple animal permits allow pet owners to have more than the prescribed number of cats or dogs on their property.

Multiple animal permits ensure that pet owners provide adequate accommodation and safeguard the animals' health and well being.

These permits also ensure that adjoining neighbours are aware of and agree to the pet owners keeping a larger number of pets. 


Under the City of Greater Geelong Neighbourhood Amenity Local Law 2014, there is a limit to the number of animals you can keep on your property.

If the number you want to keep exceeds the number that we have determined as set out below, you will need to apply for a permit. 

Property Cats Dogs
Flats, units or townhouses
2 small or 1 large
On land less than 0.4 hectares in a built up area
On land between 0.4 hectares and 2 hectares

These regulations are designed to ensure animal populations are controlled in all areas and to safeguard the animals' health and wellbeing. They are not aimed at stopping people from keeping animals on their properties.

Processing permit applications 

Your dogs and/or cats must be registered with us before a permit can be obtained. 

When you apply to keep three or more animals of the same type on your property, one of our officers will inspect the premises and outline any conditions. We check to make sure that you have enough room to look after your pets.

As well as a completed a multiple animal permit, you will need to pay the relevant fees.

Multiple animal permits take at least 1-2 weeks before permits are issued due to the inspection process.

Permit fees

You must pay for the inspection and the permit and also a fee per animal.

The current fees are:

Application type Fee

Permit renewals

Once an application for Multiple Animal Permits has been issued you will receive a renewal notice annually.

If all the details are unaltered you will need to pay your animal registrations together with the multiple animal permit.

If there are major changes to the original permit you must fill out a new application form.

However, if you choose to substitute an animal with the same breed you may renew your permit for the renewal fee without a new inspection.

Moving house and your permit

When you move house, you will need to apply to transfer your permit.

Lodging your permit application

You can lodge your completed application form and make payment at any of our Customer Service Centres.

Alternatively, you can send in all paperwork with your payment to:

City of Greater Geelong
PO Box 104
Geelong VIC 3220

Page last updated: Wednesday, 1 July 2020