There are steps you can take to protect yourself and your family from mosquitoes.
Stop mosquitoes breeding around your home
Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water.
Eliminating potential breeding sites for mosquito larvae can reduce the number of mosquitoes around your home.
Stop mosquitoes from entering your home
- Install flywire screens on all windows and self-closing wire screens on doors. Check them regularly and mend any holes.
- When camping, ensure your tent is screened to stop mosquitoes from entering.
Avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes
- Wear long, loose fitting, light coloured clothing. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colours
- Avoid outdoor activities at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active
- Some mosquitoes in coastal areas also bite during the day
- Use an effective repellent on exposed skin
- Repellents containing the active ingredient ‘DEET’ or Picaridin are most effective against mosquitoes
- Take care when applying repellents, and always read the product label before use
Visit the Better Health Channel for updated mosquito protection resources and factsheets.