Aims of the internal Indigenous Liaison Working Group are listed below.
- respect cultural protocols
- advance the notion of a Geelong Council Karreenga Aboriginal Action Plan
- share information – knowing the broad range of activities is leading, funding or participating in on behalf of Aboriginal people
- identify challenges and opportunities
- research and understand new and current State and Federal Government Policies and initiatives.
The group’s additional activities include:
- mapping exercise - identifying and elaborating all Council activities such as celebrating significant cultural days, programs, projects and funding related to advancing the rights and addressing the economic, social and cultural gaps faced by local Aboriginal people
- understanding the State Government’s Victorian Indigenous Affairs Framework (VIAF) and the new initiatives rolling out, including new regional networks for indigenous community planning by Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal Affairs Victoria (AAV) Cultural Heritage Management Planning (CHMP) processes
- learning about Wadawurrung history and events, learning about the local Aboriginal population
- addressing service gaps to local Aboriginal people
- ensuring that the goals set in the action plan are implemented.