Geelong West Town Hall is the former Town Hall of the City of Geelong West.
Today, it houses the Head Office of Diversitat, as well as offering two separate hire spaces:
- the main hall and
- the supper room.
About Geelong West Town Hall...
The Geelong West Town Hall was built in 1923-1924 as the municipal offices of the then Borough of Geelong West. It replaced the original town hall and chambers which were constructed in 1876.
The new town hall was build immediately behind the old one, allowing council officers to work uninterrupted until the old town hall was demolished in 1925 and the officers were relocated. A World War 1 war memorial and forecourt was constructed on the site of the old town hall in front of the new town hall. It was unveiled by the Governor, Lord Somers on 18 September 1927.
In 1973, the gallery and extensions to the north and south wings of the Geelong West Town Hall were completed and officially opened by the Honourable EG Whitlam, QCMP Prime Minister of Australia on 16 March 1973.
In 1993, the City of Geelong West was amalgamated along with several other neighbouring municipalities to form the new City of Greater Geelong. The Geelong West Town Hall has been managed by the City of Greater Geelong ever since. The newly formed council maintained the use of the main hall and supper room for community use and hire.
In 2013 the forecourt was restored to include the reconstruction of the stepped based of the monument in off-white concrete construction to the same dimensions as the original plan. Improved assess to the front of the building was included as well as a new lawn area to better simulate the original appearance of the forecourt.
From 2013-2016 the kitchen and bar areas adjoining the main hall underwent a significant upgrade. This included refurbishment of the bar area, installation of a kitchenette in the Supper Room and widening of the main kitchen with additional ovens allowing the kitchen to be registered to a commercial standard. The upgrade meant that not only did the kitchen better serve the Main Hall, but could also cater for cooking classes and demonstrations with the new amenities and island bench installation.
In 2018 a new compliant accessible toilet with baby change table was installed to service both hire spaces and replace the two older accessible toilets which no longer met compliance. This also included the installation of a new, compliant accessible entry directly into the supper room with automated door access.