In 1851 the Government had the foresight to set land aside at the edge of the Geelong settlement for the development of a Botanic Garden.
An exposed site of 200 acres with bay frontage and little vegetation has been transformed during the past 150 years to become Eastern Park and the Geelong Botanic Gardens.
The Geelong Botanic Gardens and Eastern Park have recognised heritage value for our tree collection and avenues. They are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
Trees in the Botanic Gardens and Eastern Park are some of the finest examples in Victoria. These trees were planted as single specimens or avenues. Some trees are listed on the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) Register of Significant Trees.
The gardens are now home to some of the city's original heritage buildings:
- The statue of Queen Victoria and the Ladies Kiosk in Eastern Park were relocated from the city.
- The fountains which used to be in Market Square and the Cabman's Shelter were also moved to the garden.