Future growth areas - can I develop my land for housing if the plan shows my land is designated for open space, drainage or roads?

Planning for large master planned communities means that the City must provide for all types of land use, including public land uses such as parks, community centres, schools and stormwater drainage.

If all, or part, of your land is nominated for public land uses then this area will be subject to compensation by the relevant authority (for example: VicRoads, City of Greater Geelong, Barwon Water, Department of Education).

There are various mechanisms and processes for how compensation can occur.

Page last updated: Friday, 29 May 2020