Businesses in the City of Greater Geelong can access Environmental
Upgrade Finance for projects that help save money and improve environmental efficiency.
Environmental Upgrade Finance (EUF) is a loan for building upgrade works, repaid via quarterly council rates. A lender provides the upfront capital for the works, which the business then repays through the council rates system over periods of up to 20 years. Council then remits it back to the lender.
We have partnered with Better Building Finance to offer EUF to local businesses.
How it works
Watch this short video to find out more about how EUF can help businesses improve their economic and environmental performance.
EUF involves a three-way agreement between the business
owner, council, and lender, called an Environmental Upgrade Agreement (EUA). It
provides an incentive for building owners to upgrade their infrastructure and improve
the value of their property. If the property is leased the building owner can easily
share the repayments with their tenants, allowing tenants to benefit from
reduced operating costs, and owners to improve the value of their asset.
The key features of EUF that make it different to
traditional finance are:
- Fixed interest, quarterly repayments made via a
local council charge
- Up to 100% project finance, including hard and
- Loan terms can extend from 5 to 20 years to
maximise business cashflow
- Loans are tied to the building, not the business
owner, making them easily transferrable if the building is sold
- Landlords can split repayments with tenants,
with both parties benefiting from the upgrade
- No requirement for personal, business or other
forms of security to be provided
Benefits to businesses
By using EUF to fund their building and environmental
upgrades, businesses can benefit from:
- Reduced business operating costs
- Positive cashflow outcome from project – often
from year one
- Security from volatile energy markets
- Media and promotional opportunities
- A better working environment
- Environmental leadership in the community
What can be funded
EUF can be used to fund a broad range of upgrade works, such
as solar, waste, and water projects. It just needs to improve the energy,
water, environmental efficiency or sustainability of existing buildings.
Popular projects include:
- Solar PV systems
- Energy efficiency upgrades and retrofits
- Lighting upgrades e.g. LED, lighting controls
and daylight sensors
- Heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC)
- Efficient control equipment,for example: power control of motors, pumps, boilers and air heating/cooling systems
- Water harvestings, filtration, recycling and treatment for re-use
To qualify for EUF, applicants need to meet the eligibility criteria listed below as well as any credit criteria set by the lender:
- Upgrade to existing buildings, located on rateable land within the council boundaries
- The proposed works should deliver a positive and quantifiable environmental outcome such as energy and/or water savings or waste minimisation
- Must be up to date on all rates and charges due to council
- Property type must be predominantly non-residential (such as commercial or industrial) and not be owned by a self-managed superannuation fund.
Contact Better Building Finance to find out more about eligibility.
Frequently asked questions
Have a look at the frequently asked questions on the Better Building Finance website.
EUF is simple, transparent and easy to organise. The key steps to follow are:
- Scope the environmental upgrade project with a contractor
- Better Building Finance can help connect businesses with participating lenders
- Lender provides the upfront capital for the upgrade project
- Owner (and/or tenant) makes repayments via an Environmental Upgrade Charge (EUC) on council rates