Goods for sale permit

If you are a business and you want to place your products or business items on the footpath you will need a goods for sale permit.

To ensure the safety of everyone who travels on the footpath in front of your property there are rules that state where and when you can do these things on the footpath.

If you are not sure if the area you want to put your goods for sale is a council footpath or another communal area you can check with us by telephoning 03 5272 5272.

The Goods for Sale application is made by completing a Footpath Trading Application form.

Before you make application you should check that you meet the following criteria:

  • Footpath width to be greater than 2900 millimetres (2.9 metres)
  • Goods should be placed directly out the front of the business
  • Goods displayed should not to exceed 1500 millimetres in height (1.5 metres)
  • Goods should be placed kerbside - that means not against the property line
  • All items must be placed 750 millimetres from the kerb.
  • There must be a minimum of 1.5 metres clearance between the item placed and the property line
  • Goods displayed not to be less than 1 metre in height
  • Goods not to be placed in an exclusion zone (that is: loading zone, no stopping zone, bus zone, taxi zone or adjacent to any red sign zone)
  • Goods to be displayed during business operating hours only
  • No goods may be placed in a Residential Zoned area
  • You have public liability insurance of at least $10 million


An application fee and annual permit fee apply.

Permits are issued for the calendar year and expire 31 December each year, regardless of when you make the application.

What you need to do

If you need more information and advice it may be helpful to speak to the officers at Council who will be approving your application on 03 5272 4500.

Lodgement of these documents and the fee can be done by mail or by email ([email protected]).

What we will do

When we receive your application we will assess that you meet the criteria, have the correct insurance and have made payment.

When your application is approved we will issue you with a permit which includes a sticker.

This sticker should be placed in the window of your business so that it is clearly visible.

Page last updated: Thursday, 4 November 2021