Buying or selling a food business

From 1 July 2021 there have been amendments to the Food Act 1984 regarding the change of ownership of food premises registration.

Buying an existing food business

Under the Act, an existing food registration can no longer transfer from one party to another party.

If you are buying an existing food business in City of Greater Geelong you will need to apply for a Food Act registration using the online form.

Selling a food business

If you are selling or closing a food business, you will no longer be able to transfer your existing registration to a new owner.

You will need to notify us in writing to cancel your food registration.

The new owner will need to apply online for a registration under the Food Act. 

These changes only relate to the Food Act and any request for transfer of businesses under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act should be made to this email address, until such time as the online request system is amended.

Page last updated: Thursday, 25 November 2021