Food Management Plan

The event organiser is responsible for the overall management of food vendors. 

This responsibility includes coordinating the  placement of the food vendor, offering advice to site services, that is: power, water, waste management to risk management.

How to work well with food vendors

  • Liaise with the Events Unit to ensure food vendors are required at your event site.
  • Offer a variety of food choices, this depends on the advice provided by the Events Unit. The location of the event may already have sufficient existing food vendors that can support your event. 
  • Healthy food options being the priority

Many event organisers develop an Expression of Interest form that they provide to potential vendors. Ensure the food vendor is registered with Streatrader.

Streatrader is the online system for businesses and community groups to register and notify their temporary and mobile food premises.

Once the food vendor list is confirmed and the participating vendors have current food registrations, provide these details to your City's Events Officer:

  • the name of the vendor's business
  • the name and contact details of your vendor (address, mobile etc)
  • a description of the food being served or sold (detail packaged and unpackaged items)
  • the type of structure where food will be sold (van, marquee, stall, cart etc)
  • does the vendor have a current Temporary Food Permit with the City of Greater Geelong?

This information will be forwarded on to the City's Environmental Health and Local Laws Unit and they will liaise with the vendors in regards to permits and food safety plans.

Receive approval of food permits from the City’s Health and Local Laws Unit. Include these food vendors information in your Event Plan and on your site plan.

Providing on site services to vendors:

It is your role as the event organiser to ensure the food vendors have access to utilities or knowledgeable to provide their own.

Your expression of interest form (see step 1 above) should include questions about what utilities they will need. This is to avoid vendors turning up during the bump in phase and plugging into power sources that have been allocated elsewhere.

Some vendors may be completely self sufficient, some may just need power, some may need power, water and a marquee.

Once you know where and how much power and water is available on site and the type of utilities each vendor needs, you can start allocating available power and/or arranging the hire of generators, distribution boxes and power cables.

You will also need to manage the on-site provisions, ensure power leads are tagged, gas bottles and fire extinguishers are current and stored correctly away from public harm.

Your Waste Management Plan needs to provide information to the events waste management, this includes waste collection, disposal to maintaining the bins used by the public attending the event.

It is a very good idea to nominate a Food Safety Supervisor and list them in your Event Plan.

Food vendors marked on your site plan

Show the position and the dimensions of all food vendors on your event site, include adequate room to enable customers to gather around the food provider. 

If the vendor needs access to power, show the location of the power source and the distance from the source to the food provider on a site plan.

If the food vendor has a stand-alone generator, then your site plan should show the position of the generator and how it will be made inaccessible to the public.

Food marquees on site plans

Follow the City’s Health and Local Laws Structural Requirements Checklist.

The internal set up of each food marquee should be drawn as separate plans and indicate the following:

  • back of house - preparation areas
  • cool rooms
  • fire prevention equipment
  • flooring used
  • garbage disposal area
  • generators, location of electrical leads and connections
  • hand washing and dishwashing facilities (must be separate to those provided at toilets)
  • hot plates, ovens or oil, and bain-marie
  • preparation and service tables
  • protective barriers to ensure separation of hot areas from the public.

If the marquee is accessing power, your site plan should show the location of the power source and the distance from the source to the marquee.

If the marquee has a stand-alone generator, your site plan should show where the generator will be positioned and how it will be made inaccessible to the public.

Promoting healthy eating at events

We support and encourages healthy eating at events.

It is recommended you select food and beverage vendors who provide healthy food and drink choices on their menus.

Consuming healthy food and beverages has the potential to influence the health related behaviours of staff, performers and the general public. 

The benefit of offering healthy food and beverages at your event means that the general public, staff and performers can feel energised and hydrated.

To increase the options of healthy food at the event aim to ensure:

  • easy access to drinking water either freely available or for sale 
  • fresh fruit options are available
  • salads and vegetable based dishes and / or fresh salad or vegetables are available and promoted
  • there are a good proportion of food vendors offering well promoted healthy food and drink choices (*)
  • vegetarian options are available and promoted
  • where tea and coffee are available, also think about offering herbal teas and decaffeinated coffee.

(*) Food and drinks can be classified into three categories, Green, Amber and Red, according to their nutritional value. A quick guide is provided below to assist you.

Green - everyday foods

Healthiest choices:

  • high in nutrients and fibre
  • low in saturated fat and/or sugar
  • help to avoid excess kilojoule intake.

Include as many as possible in preference to other suppliers.

These choices should be well promoted.

Food groups include: Breads, cereals, pasta, noodles, fresh fruit and vegetables, low fat dairy foods and drinks, lean meats, poultry and fish, water.

Examples of 'green' category foods include: wholemeal or wholegrain sandwiches and wraps, pasta, rice and noodle dishes, salads and vegetables, fruit – fresh and fresh fruit based sweet dishes, mini tandoori and satay skewers, falafel /lamb kofta balls with dip, low fat plain and flavoured milk drinks, (300 ml size), reduced fat yoghurts, cheese and fruit platters, lean meat, poultry, fish meals with salad or vegetables, water and healthy BBQ options.

Amber - select carefully

  • moderate amounts of added fat/sugar and or salt
  • limited nutrition value
  • large quantities add to excess kilojoule intake.

Food groups include: processed meats, baked foods and foods sautéed in light oil.

Sell in smaller serving sizes.  

Examples of 'amber' category food include: mini pies and sausage rolls in low fat pastry, mini savoury quiches, mini vegetable spring rolls/samousas (baked),
mini pizzas, chicken drummettes, full fat dairy foods and drinks, mini sweet and savoury muffins.

Red - occasional foods

Eat occasionally:

  • high in fats, sugar or oil
  • very low in nutritional value
  • contribute to excess kilojoule intake.

Limit proportion of these foods and drinks sold at events 

Food groups include: foods that are deep fried, sweet food and drinks with high amounts of sugar and confectionary.

Examples of 'red' category food inlcude: sugar sweetened drinks – eg. soft drink (full sugar), sports drinks, fruit flavoured drinks, hot chips/wedges, large pies and sausage rolls, danish pastries, large sweet muffins, cakes/slices/cookies and chocolate and confectionary.

For further information, view the The Healthy Canteen Kit.

For more advice, go to the National Heart Foundation of Australia’s Healthier Catering Guidelines and download ‘A Healthier Serve’.

Other permits

A Permit to Burn is required from the City of Greater Geelong if the open fire for cooking has minimum 3 metre clearance around and above the fire area, and that someone oversees the open flame or coals at all times.

If these requirements cannot be adhered to, view our apply for a permit to burn page.

Page last updated: Thursday, 28 May 2020