Transfer of Business - Food and Health

When there is a change of ownership of a food or health business the registration under the relevant Act, either Food Act (1984) or Public Health and Wellbeing Act (2008), must be transferred into the new proprietor/business name.

The transfer of a food and health registration can be done in two different ways:

With a pre-sale inspection – you will need to request a Consent to Disclose information form.


Without a pre-sale inspection - you will need an Application to Transfer form.

With a pre-sale inspection

A pre-sale inspection means the current proprietor/operator signs the Consent to Disclose Information form to release information to a prospective purchaser or their agent, such as a solicitor or conveyancer.

This inspection is not mandatory but often purchaser/s want to know the current status of the business. 

The consent form can be requested through our online system or by contacting us.

The form will need to be signed by the current proprietor/s and returned to us with the fee indicated on the form. This fee includes the transfer of registration fee as well as the cost of the inspection.

Payment options are indicated on the form.

An inspection of the food business will be arranged within 10 working days of us receiving the fee and the correctly completed form. A copy of the full written  report will be sent to the person/s or their agent, who's name is on the form. A copy of the report will also be sent to the current proprietor/s.

The Transfer of Food Act Registration form will be included with the written report.

Without a pre-sale inspection

If you do not want to have a pre-sale inspection of a new business, you can request a transfer of registration form through our online system or by contacting us.

You should return this transfer form with any applicable fee, within 14 days of settlement to ensure that the business is registered in the correct proprietor/s and business name/s.

When the transfer form is received

For Public Health and Well Being Act: When we receive the correctly completed form and the applicable fee, we will arrange for a Transfer of Public Health and Well Being Act Transfer Certificate to be issued to the new proprietor/s.

For Food Act: We will transfer the registration into the new proprietor/s name. One of our Environmental Health Officers will conduct an inspection of the business about 30 days after settlement and, if the premise is compliant, we will issue a Transfer Certificate of Registration under the Food Act.

Contacting us...

You can contact us by phone, email or in person.

Page last updated: Monday, 29 July 2019