Food classifications

The City is responsible for the classification of every food premise according to their food safety risk.

Class 1

Class 1 food premises are those that predominately handle potentially hazardous food that is served to vulnerable groups, such as in:

  • hospitals

  • child care centres or

  • providing long day care and aged care facilities such as nursing homes and hostels.

Class 2

Class 2 food premises are those whose main activity is handling unpackaged, potentially hazardous foods which need correct temperature control during the food handling process, including cooking and storage, to keep them safe.

This includes:

  • restaurants

  • fast food outlets

  • pubs

  • caterers

  • delicatessens

  • supermarkets with delicatessens

  • cafes and

  • most manufacturers.

Class 3

Class 3 food premises are those whose main activities involve the sale of foods not commonly associated with food poisoning. This includes the supply or handling of unpackaged low risk foods, or sale of pre-packaged potentially hazardous foods which simply need refrigeration to keep them safe.

Premises expected to fall into Class 3 include:

  • milk bars

  • convenience stores

  • fruit stalls selling cut fruit and

  • wholesalers distributing pre-packaged foods.

Class 4

Class 4 food premises are those whose food handling activities pose low risk to public health. They include premises that only undertake the following:

  • the sale of shelf stable pre-packaged confectionery at newsagents, pharmacies and video stores

  • bottle shops

  • sale of uncut fruit and vegetables at farmers markets or by greengrocers (whether retail or wholesale)

  • wine tastings

  • shops and stalls with packaged cakes (excluding cream cakes), bottled jams or honey

  • sessional kindergartens serving low risk food including cut fruit, and

  • simple sausage sizzles at stalls, where the sausages are cooked and served immediately. This means sausages, sauce, onions and bread. (This does not include hamburgers or other high risk foods).

If you are unsure of the classification that your business would fall into you can use the classification information on the Victoria Health website or contact us.

Page last updated: Thursday, 25 November 2021