Food Registration - Principal Council

If you are a business selling food from a temporary, portable or mobile food premises, or if you are a water carter business, you will need to determine which is your Principal Council.

One council must be primarily responsible for approving your food handling operations.

Which is your Principal Council?

This is the council that most of your up-front dealings will be within the future

It is the council in whose district:

  • you prepare or store food that is to be sold at the stall or van or
  • if food is not usually prepared or stored beforehand by the business/organisation – the district in which you usually store the equipment for your stall, or garage your van or
  • if none of the above apply – the district where the usual business address for your organisation is located or
  • if none of the above are in Victoria – the district in which the stall or van will first operate.

If you already have a registered fixed/permanent food premises, with a street address, from which you prepare or store food that is sold at your van or stall, you will need to register your van or stall with the same council.

You can ask us to combine these registrations so that in future you will only have one registration renewal process.

Page last updated: Thursday, 25 November 2021