A mobile food registration is required under the Food Act for any van, cart or movable
vehicle where food is prepared or sold. This includes coffee and other drink vans or carts.
Starting a business is a big decision and doing research is imperative to your business succeeding.
The level of food handling activities which are undertaken in the van will determine the food classification.
- you operate a food van, food vehicle, food cart or a drinking water cart you will only need to register with, or notify, one council
- your van, vehicle or cart is generally garaged within the boundaries of the City of Greater Geelong then we will be deemed your principal council.
It is recommended that you fully research where you will trade or operate your vehicle.
- you want to register a new food van you should research all aspects of the registration process by looking at our start a new food business information
- you are considering purchasing an existing vehicle, van or cart the information regarding Buying or selling a food business will be helpful
- you are constructing a vehicle from scratch or revamping a vehicle you should contact us to discuss all the food safety requirements prior to any works, as it is usually more expensive to make changes after the vehicle has been completed.
When you are ready to register your vehicle you can begin the registration process by lodging your application through the State wide data base - Streatrader.
If your food operation is not a vehicle but rather a temporary food stall or marquee you will have to register with Council as a Temporary Food Premises.