Temporary and portable food registration for community groups

Community groups use events to sell food as a means of fundraising.

This information is for clubs, church groups, charities or not-for-profit groups wanting to sell food from a temporary or portable site. This could include a sausage sizzle, cake stall or fete/fair or market stall.

There are different levels of registration or notification depending on the risk and type of food you are selling.

Are you selling Class 4 food?

Class 4 is food which poses low risk to public health.

If you are selling this type of food you are required to complete and lodge a Notification by a Community Group Temporary Food Premises form.

On this form you will need to include the date/s of your known event/s and site/s of trading.

What we will do?

You will receive an acknowledgement that Council has received your Notification under the Food Act.

Are you selling Class 2 or 3 food?

If so, you will be considered to be selling Class 2 or Class 3 food. You will need to complete and lodge an Application to Register a Temporary Food Premises for Community Groups.

On this form you can include up to 12 known event/s and date/s of trading.

If you do not know of upcoming event/s you can complete a Statement of Trade for Temporary Food Premises form and lodge at least 5 days prior to the next event/s.

Any applicable payment information is detailed on the application form and should be paid on lodgement.

If you do not know what class of food you are selling you can refer to the Department of Health website or contact us using the feedback section below.

Although not mandatory it is suggested that all of our volunteers understand food safety and some groups arrange for their helpers to complete the Do Food Safely on line quiz. This is available in a few different languages.


You can lodge your notification or application for temporary food registration through the state wide data base known as Streatrader.

What we will do?

Your application will be assessed and on approval you will receive a Class 2 or Class 3 food registration.

If you are selling Class 2 food it is mandatory for you to use an Events Food Safety Program.

If you are selling Class 3 food you can use the Events Food Safety Program but it is not a requirement.

It is suggested that all community groups read the Temporary Food Premises Guidelines to ensure that they are selling safe food at their event.

Page last updated: Monday, 12 July 2021