Siting approval for prescribed structures at events

Certain temporary structures are classified under the Victorian Building Act 1993 as being a Prescribed Temporary Structures.

Prescribed Temporary Structures must be issued with an Occupancy Permit from the Victorian Building Authority.

You will need this permit, along with the Engineering Specifications for the structure to make application for Siting Approval to City’s Municipal Building Surveyor.

The purpose of the Siting Approval is to ensure that any prescribed temporary structures are suitable constructions for the proposed site and meet the minimum safety and evacuation Standards.

The Siting Approval is issued on the following conditions:

  • That the Siting of the Prescribed Temporary Structure is approved by the Municipal Building Surveyor.

  • That the erection of the Prescribed Temporary Structure is carried out by a registered Building Practitioner.

  • That a Certificate of Compliance – Inspection is issued by a Registered Building Practitioner and displayed on the structure prior to occupation.

Prescribed Temporary Structures are defined as:

  • Seating stands for more than 20 persons

  • Stage/s or platforms (including sky borders and stage wings) exceeding 150 square metres in floor area

  • Tents, marquees and booths, with a floor area greater than 100 square metres

  • Prefabricated Building greater than 100 square metres not placed directly the ground.

Structures with a lower size or capacity than a prescribed temporary structure such as an inflatable cinema screen may also require structural verification.

Applying for Siting Approval

Either you or the owner of the equipment may make the application for Siting Approval.

The minimum fee of $350.00 applies for processing an application, should the assessment time exceed 1.5 hours. A fee of $147.50 per hour may apply.

Here are the steps are for applying for siting approval:

  1. Event organiser: Engage a hire company to provide the equipment required. Ask the hire company to visit your event site and check that the structure is suitable for the site and that once erected it will be able to comply with the structures Engineering Specifications.

  2. Event organiser or hire company: Complete the Siting Approval Application with all supporting documentation and submit to the Municipal Building Surveyor no less than 20 days prior to the erection date.

  3. Event organiser or hire company: Provide a site plan that is to scale and a floor plan of each structure on your site plan. Ensure that your site plan complies with the requirements listed within the Siting Approval for Prescribed Temporary Structures Checklist.

  4. Hire company: For each structure, provide the information requested to describe the structure in the ‘Type of Prescribed Temporary Structures’ section. Ensure that each structure has its relevant Victorian Building Authority Division 2 Occupancy Permit.

  5. Hire company: Each structure must be erected by a qualified building practitioner. Your building practitioner is usually an employee of the hire company.

    Ensure the following information is provided:

    • Name of Practitioner who will erect the marquee on the day and sign the Certificate of Compliance Inspection Permit post erection.

    • Registration number of the Practitioner.

  6. Event organiser and hire company: Ensure that your contractor is ready to be responsive and follow up with any outstanding documentation that the Building Surveyor may require.

  7. Event Organiser: Receive an Occupancy Permit from the City’s Building Surveyor and attach it to the building.

  8. Building practioner: 'Certificate of Compliance – Inspection' to be issued by the relevant building practitioner following the inspection of the completed structure and prior to occupation of the structure.

  9. Event Organiser: Attach 'Certificate of Compliance-Inspection & Victorian Building Authority Occupancy Permit' to the structure.

    Provide a copy of the 'Certificate of Compliance–Inspection' to the Municipal Building Surveyor.

Every prescribed temporary structure needs to meet minimum safety requirements.

These are set out in the Safety Guidelines for Prescribed Temporary Structures fact sheet.

The information listed below provides a summary of other information that may be requested from you to manage your structure and site safely. Your Events Officer will advise you if additional plans are required.

Additional plans that may be requested:

  • Management of fire risks

    Fire extinguishers checked, positioned, attached and signed appropriately within the structure refer to notes on Safety Guidelines for Prescribed Temporary Structures fact sheet and relevant Building Commission Occupancy Permit.

    Relevant permits from CFA for naked flames.

  • Risk Management of structures

    All structures must be secured appropriately. 

  • Evacuation Plan

    • All exits clearly marked

    • Unobstructed exits

  • Gas cylinder storage

  • Waste management

  • Structural compliance

  • Power Management Plan

Open Air Cinemas

The following infomation you should know before choosing your supplier.

You may need to apply for a POPE Permit for an Open Air Cinema. You need to ask the business providing the inflatable screen to provide you with the documentation listed below before you engage them. 

Documentation required to be submitted when applying for an Occupancy Permit:

A structural design of the screen structure that has been prepared by a suitably registered Engineer.

The structural design must include:

  • Computations and summary of the structural limitations of the screen.

  • Anchorage details for the screen taking into account average and gust wind speed limitations for all applicable wind directions and exposures.

  • The screen structures Certificate of Compliance - Design

  • Procedure for monitoring wind speeds during the cinema screening activity, this procedure should include:

    1. The reference authority to determine average and gust wind speed

    2. The time frames (in the lead up to and during the events) when average gust wind speeds should be monitored. 

The Building Surveyor can advise you during the planning phase as to how to develop these plans.

Page last updated: Friday, 29 May 2020