Services management at your event

Services on an event site include amenities such as: power, lighting, water or accessing restricted areas.

Power requirements assessment

To determine how much power will be required to operate the event, you will need to know where the existing power is, how much power is available, who needs power and if an extra power source is required?

Once this information has been collected you should allocate power to those who require it during the event.

For information on how to develop a power management plan, refer to the 'Additional Event Plans' of the Event Planning Guide.

For risk management advice and the industry standards advice go to Section 3, Risk Management Planning of this Guide.

Lighting requirements assessment

Events at night need light. Adequate lighting is important in ensuring that a safe environment is provided for the people at your event.

Your plan should ensure that all areas of the site, especially access paths and emergency exits, are clearly illuminated.

You should make an assessment as to where lights are required on site to provide a safe environment and for the event to operate at night.

Lighting also requires power and this will form part of the Power Management Plan. For more information about lighting planning, refer to the 'Additional Event Plans' of the Event Planning Guide.

Safe managing when using gas bottles and LP gas

LP gas bottles are predominantly used at events for cooking and for heating.

As an organiser of a public event, you have a duty of care under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004, to provide a safe operational environment.

In relation to gas safety, this can be achieved by ensuring that all gas installations are safe, certified and compliant with current Gas Regulations and Safety Standards.

For more information on how to abide by the Code of Practice for the Safe Use of LP Gas advice go to Section 3, Risk Management Planning of this Guide.

Water water requirements management

It is your responsibility to manage the events water requirements.

You will need to assess what the events water requirements are, if there is enough water available on site, where the water is located and will extra water be needed?

For information on how to develop a Water Management Plan, refer to the 'Additional Event Plans' of the Event Planning Guide.

Locked or restricted areas access

If there any locked gates, electrical boxes, water taps, bollards, swing gates or garbage bins on site that you may need access to, please indicate these areas on your site plan.

An Events Officer working with you will make enquires to potential use and provide advice to accessing these areas or provide you with keys.

If there are existing buildings on site that you would like access to, please advise the Events Officer, who will then check with the Asset Manager.

Some reserves have existing club rooms and your Events Officer will either make a request on your behalf or ask you to contact the club directly. Use of the clubroom would then become an arrangement between you and the club.

Camping on or near the event site

If you are planning a temporary camping facility on or near the event site then permission is required by the land manager and local laws to camping permits. A site map should be provided with your application to show how you are proposing to use the area.

An Events Officer will liaise with the City's Health & Local Laws Unit to determine if the area is suitable for camping. If the area is suitable, then an Events Officer will provide the applicant with the relevant camping application form.

There are also a number of well-positioned and affordable caravan and camping parks within the Geelong region. Please visit the Visit Geelong and the Bellarine website to learn more.

Page last updated: Friday, 13 November 2020