Traffic management summary

If your event impacts the normal use of roads in and around your event site, then you may need to apply for permission to temporarily change the normal use of the roadway/s.

This will involve engaging a Traffic Management Company to develop and implement a Traffic Management Plan in accordance with the Australian Standards.

Information required when applying for permission

Provide a site plan with the Event Application Form that shows the following:

  • Name what roads are proposed to be impacted or closed
  • Show:
    • the direction and the course of the parade or sporting route and any start/finish lines
    • where any equipment is proposed to be positioned on the footpath, or roadway
    • where you suggest the public and participants park
    • where you suggest contractors and event staff park

Your Events Officer will provide this information to the various agencies to seek in principle approval on your behalf. You may be asked to meet with the agencies to discuss your proposal.

If you are given in-principle approval then you will be required to engage a traffic management company to develop plans, manage the road closure and provide insurance during the road closure. You will then need to make formal application to the relevant agencies and follow their processes.

If you are not sure which agency manages which roadway, refer to the legend at the front of the Melways publication to determine whether Council or Vic Roads manage the road.

For more information on the relevant agencies and their processes, refer to the Additional Event Plans section of the Event Planning Guide.

You may also need to develop a Communications Plan to outline how you will advise residents and traders of the changed traffic conditions and access arrangements. Your Events Officer will provide you with information regarding the contents of the Communications Plan.

Note: The planning and expenses associated with traffic management are the responsibility of the event organiser.

Traffic Management needs to be part of your Risk Assessment.

Page last updated: Monday, 2 May 2022