On Friday 27 November at 7pm, join us remotely
as we enjoy acknowledge our community heroes, support our neighbours in need,
and celebrate our collective resilience during the past difficult year.
This very festive community event is being hosted
in partnership with Geelong Giving Tree Appeal and bay 93.9.
Tune in exclusively to bay 93.9 for this
special two-hour broadcast featuring performances by local musicians, carols
for a festive sing-along and Christmas greetings read by local community heroes
and well-known identities.
Enjoy a nostalgic evening of simple family fun
inspired by simple times when families and neighbours gathered around the
‘wireless’. In a year when the importance of social connection has been in
sharp focus, this two-hour broadcast offers an opportunity to decorate your
tree, sing-along, share some short-bread and connect with loved ones.
Light up the night by decorating your house,
garden or letterbox and celebrate at home with family, friends or neighbours
using hashtag #geelongnightoflights on social media to share messages of love and
optimism for the new year.
At 9pm, join us in lighting up Geelong by lighting
your decorations as we light up City Hall and some other well-known Geelong
Monetary donations to Bethany’s Geelong Giving Tree Appeal will be encouraged throughout the night with Bethany to distribute funds raised directly to families as gift cards.
Stay tuned for more info about the Night of Lights and the rest of our amazing Christmas program coming soon.
Geelong Giving Tree Appeal
Our partner, Bethany Community Support, through
the Geelong Giving Tree Appeal, is collecting donations to change Christmas
for local families in need.
For the first time in the 20-year history of
the Geelong Giving Tree Appeal, the community is being asked to donate funds,
not gifts to the appeal in order to keep everyone COVID-safe.
Funds will go towards gift cards for recipients
nominated by local community support agencies, allowing them to purchase
presents for their families which they would otherwise struggle to afford.
Help change Christmas for a local family in
need by supporting the Geelong Giving Tree Appeal. We will be promoting this
very special appeal during the Geelong Night of Lights broadcast, ahead of the
appeal concluding on Tuesday 1 December.
Geelong Night of Lights partner radio station
bay 93.9 is an integral part of the Geelong community.
Tune into bay 93.9 on your radio or listen to the live stream.
Bay 93.9 is our broadcast partner for Geelong
Night of Lights.
Celebrating our community
During this unprecedented year that has tested us all, there
have been moments of light contributed by some well-known and some lesser-known
On Geelong Night of Lights we celebrate these contributions.
Although we can’t list them all, here are a few of the community heroes who we
wish to celebrate:
- Elaine Anderson, Red Cross Operations Manager, has been at the forefront of emergency food relief during the COVID-19 pandemic, ensuring that emergency relief packages reached people in self-isolation.
- Laila Thompson, 14-years old, brought joy to Meals on Wheels recipients and Palliative Care patients with her winning design of a postcard with an inspiring message of hope and resilience.
- The City’s Community Care workers helped thousands of vulnerable residents during the COVID-19 pandemic to stay at home safely.
- Monika Berry, professional photographer and Bellarine Peninsula resident launched a project recognising her neighbours in isolation with the Stay.home.project.
- Talented musician Andy Pobjoy, took to delighting an online audience performing live from the Piano Bar every night.
- Grandparents (everywhere!) like this grandmother reading to two siblings listening intently via Skype.
- Students at Ocean Grove Primary School sent colourful letters of thanks to healthcare workers at University Hospital Geelong.
27 November 2020, 07:00 PM
03 5272 5272
City of Greater Geelong