ANZAC Day is a day of remembrance. Every year, thousands of people come together to pay tribute to and remember our brave ANZAC sons who landed under fire on the Gallipoli Peninsula.
In 2019, we continue to mark the centenary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces in First World War. This year we commemorate the 76th anniversary of the Second World War and 51 years since some the Vietnam War’s major battles.
There are numerous ANZAC Day services taking place within Geelong and on the Bellarine Peninsula on the morning of ANZAC Day.
Geelong ANZAC Day Commemorative Services include:
The ANZAC projections will commence at 3.30am on ANZAC Day to coincide with the Johnstone Park pre-dawn service.
- 4.15am - Johnstone Park Geelong Pre-Dawn Service takes place at the Geelong Peace Memorial in Johnstone Park.
- 5.50am - Eastern Beach Reserve Dawn Service
located next to the open water swimming enclosure and pool area at Eastern Beach.
- 6.00am - Torquay Dawn Service takes place at Point Danger.
- 6.00am - Portarlington and St Leonards March and Service at the Cenotaph Memorial on WG Little Reserve / Cannon Park. At 11.00am a march will take place from outside the Portarlingon and St Leonards RSL Sub Branch.
- 6.00am -
Lara Dawn Service takes place around the Lara Cenotaph at 2 Rennie Street.
- 6.15am - Ocean Grove Pre-Dawn Service around the Ocean Grove Cenotaph at the Ocean Grove Park. At 9.45am a march will take place from The Terrace to conclude with a wreath laying ceremony at approximately 10.00am.
- 6.30am - Boer War Memorial Dawn Service
located on the corner of Kilgour Street and Latrobe Terrace.
- 8.00am - Leopold Memorial Dawn Service
at the Leopold War Memorial located at 91-139 Melaluka Road.
- 8.45am - Barwon Heads March and Service commences from the corner of Hitchcock Avenue and Bridge Road. A wreath laying ceremony follows at the Cenotaph located outside the Barwon Heads Community Hall.
- 9.00am - Geelong RSL Service takes place at the Geelong RSL War Memorial, 50 Barwon Heads Road, Belmont.
- 9.00am - Catholic War Veterans Association will hold mass at St Mary's Basilican on Yarra Street.
- 9.30am - Norlane March and Service commences in the service lane of Melbourne Road and Sparks Road to conclude at the Norlane RSL Sub Branch. A wreath laying ceremony follows at approximately 9.50am.
- 10.00am - Drysdale March and Service in the Drysdale Primary School Assembly Hall. At 10.45am, a march will take place from outside the Drysdale CFA.
- 11.00am - Geelong March and Service commences from the corner of Yarra Street and Malop Street to conclude in Johnstone Park. A commemorative service follows at approximately 11.45am.
Public transport changes - Geelong ANZAC March
Due to the ANZAC Day public holiday the Benders and McHarry’s Bus
services will operate as per a weekend bus timetable.
All buses with operate from the Geelong Train Station during the road closure period.
For further information to the buses visit www.ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800
Lest We Forget