When our wildlife need help, there are organisations you can contact.

For wildlife needing assistance contact Wildlife Victoria by phoning 03 8400 7300 or the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning (DELWP) on 136 186.

Sick, injured or orphaned wildlife

The care of sick, injured and orphaned wildlife must be referred to an authorised wildlife rehabilitation organisation, shelter or foster organisation or vet.

To report or for further information visit the Wildlife Victoria website.

Wildlife in residential streets

If you see wildlife such as kangaroos loose in residential areas, you should contact Wildlife Victoria immediately on 03 8400 7300.

Seals or marine animals

If you spot a seal and have concerns for its health and welfare, contact the Zoos Victoria AGL Marine Response Unit on 1300 245 678. You should report on the location, size, condition and any behavioural observations of the seal.


Possums are protected under the Wildlife Act 1975. Although relocation of problem possums is prohibited, other control options are available.

Further information about Possum control can be found on the Wildlife Victoria website.

The DELWP do not set possum or cat traps, nor do they hire them out.

The DELWP have a list of licenced possum controllers in the area or find a Pest Controller using a web search.


To report a swooping bird on Council land visit our swooping birds page.

Enquiries about managing native birds such as Cockatoos, Corellas or Currawongs, or other wildlife, should be directed to the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning by phoning 131 186 or visiting www.wildlife.vic.gov.au 

General enquiries including hunting, pests/nuisance issues

Contact the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning for general issues including hunting, snakes, bats, flying foxes, swooping birds etc.

Page last updated: Wednesday, 18 August 2021