Preparing for a possible emergency is an important way to help protect yourself and your family in the event that one occurs.
There are simple and practical steps you can take to protect yourself, your family, pets and livestock, and your most valued possessions.
- Talk with your family about what to do in an emergency and develop a plan together - information on what to consider in the development of an emergency plan can be found at Vic Emergency - prepare and get ready, SES home emergency plans and kits and Australian Red Cross.
- Have an emergency kit packed with some essentials
- Practice the plan
- Make sure your plan includes plans for your pets, medication, and a meeting point that the whole family is aware of
- Have a contact person for you or your family to call and report on your safety
- know the hazards or risks that are present in your area
- review your insurance policies type and sum insured
- take a house-hold inventory
- make sure you know your neighbours
- learn about your community's emergency plans and warning signals
- download the vicemergency app:
- know where to get information.