We treasure Geelong’s culture and heritage and will help our creative community to grow.
- Incorporating arts and cultural initiatives into infrastructure development, to enhance our sense of place.
- Recognising and sharing our heritage through storytelling.
- Recognising and celebrating Geelong’s Aboriginal culture and history.
- Working with galleries and museums to improve our public art and heritage offering.
- Attracting new, and supporting existing, creative industries.
- Delivering UNESCO City of Design creative outcomes, including:
- National Wool Museum Master Plan
- Geelong Gallery redevelopment
- Mountain to Mouth
- Geelong After
- Cultural trails.
- Working with the
Geelong Regional Library Corporation to deliver efficient and effective
services and programs.
Our aims 2019-2020
- Adopt and implement the first year of the Cultural Strategy.
- Continue the support and delivery of Geelong’s iconic arts and cultural events and programs.
- Undertake the Geelong Gallery redevelopment business case in partnership with the Geelong Gallery.
- Continue remedial works of Osborne House.
- Continue to work across all Council events to link and emphasise Aboriginal culture and history.
- Assist cultural venues to cross-promote programs and events.
- Support the development and promotion of local artists, arts organisations and live music.
- Adopt and implement recommendations of the Strategic Plan for Use and Management of Geelong’s Heritage Assets.
Measures of success
- Increased number
of objects actively cared for within
our arts and heritage collections.
- Increased access
to cultural collections through
- 20 per cent
active library members in the municipality.
- Increased employment in creative occupations.
visitation to our key cultural facilities (National Wool Museum, Potato Shed, Geelong Gallery, Courthouse Youth Arts, Geelong Library & Heritage Centre).