We will show leadership to address waste, climate change and
- Reduce our carbon footprint through the use of solar initiatives
and other renewable energy options.
- Educating and assisting our community to act on climate change,
by reducing waste, emissions and water usage.
- Using sustainable materials to construct and renew roads,
footpaths and street furniture.
- Progressively changing standard street lights to LED lights, to help reduce carbon emissions.
- Commencing Drysdale landfill rehabilitation.
- Constructing a green organics facility.
- Planting more trees to green and cool our urban areas.
- Reducing single-use plastic across the region.
- Managing pest plants and animals more effectively.
Our aims in 2019-2020
- Continue the hard waste collection service trial.
- Implement short and long term strategies to respond to changes in recycling markets.
- Develop and adopt the Waste and Resource Recovery Strategy.
- Work with other local governments to implement regional initiatives (sustainable street furniture and road materials, zero landfill waste, waste-to-energy).
- Trial the Plastic Wise Program at events in our region.
- Complete feasibility study of the Food Organics Processing and Transfer Station.
- Develop and implement the Biodiversity Strategy.
- Implement initiatives from the Rural Peri-Urban Advisory Committee including restoration of rural landscapes.
- Implement the Urban Forest Strategy.
- Develop the Northern and Western Growth Areas Biodiversity Conversation Strategy.
- Foster best agricultural and environmental management practices in rural and peri-urban communities and on Council land.
- Work with partners for an integrated water strategy for the Northern and Western Geelong Growth Areas.
- Support Barwon Water to deliver a regional Integrated Water Management Strategy.
Measures of success
- 60 per cent of garbage, recyclables and green organics collected
from kerbside bins diverted from landfill.
- Emissions reduced from street lights, buildings and vehicle fleet by 50 per cent, by 2020.
- Increased use of sustainable material in our asset construction and renewal.
- 16 per cent suburban tree canopy.
- More than 1,850 street trees planted per annum.