CLUE offers information about economic activity, tracks changes in land use, and identifies key trends in employment.
The Central Geelong Census of Land Use and Employment (CLUE) is a valuable source of municipal data for planning and forecasting. CLUE provides information about how people are employed in Central Geelong and how spaces are used.
Data collected from CLUE in Central Geelong is available for 2009, 2011 and 2017.
We need CLUE because...
CLUE assists the City to:
- make informed business and planning decisions to help shape the diversity of businesses across Central Geelong
- identify employment opportunities and challenges
- inform social and diversity studies to implement policy and infrastructure and
- understand needs around public transport.
Key data findings
By analysing the data available from 2009, 2011 and 2017, CLUE can show us that:
- more people than ever before are working in Central Geelong (36 percent increase in the total number of jobs between 2009 and 2017)
- the highest employing industry in Central Geelong is in Health & Social Assistance (10,371 jobs in 2017)
- more retail and hospitality businesses in Central Geelong are staying open at night (61 percent in 2017)
- more retail and hospitality businesses in Central Geelong are opening on Sundays (59 percent in 2017)
- there are now more cafes and restaurants in Central Geelong (27 percent increase between 2009 and 2017)
- more people are studying in Central Geelong (10,730 students in 2017)
- more people are living in Central Geelong (887 dwellings and 107 student accommodation beds in 2017) and
- there are less vacant shops in Central Geelong than ever before (ground floor vacancy rates down to 7 percent in 2017, from 11 percent in 2009).
The City of Greater Geelong considers that the responsible handling of personal information is a key aspect of democratic governance, and is strongly committed to protecting an individual's right to privacy. Participates individual businesses information collected in this census is completely confidential and no results on individual businesses will be disclosed.
The aggregated data will only be used as information to inform policy and strategies for Council. We will keep you informed of any fact finding reports that Council may choose to make publicly available for business planning and investment.