Reserve signage

Our signage policy seeks to allow sporting clubs to derive income from the placement of advertising signage whilst maintaining the amenity of grounds for passive reserve users.

Signage placement

  • No more than 50 percent of an internal oval perimeter can be fenced and must have a three metre gap every 20 metres

  • External facing signage will only be permitted directly in front of social facilities. This signage must not be visible beyond the reserve

  • Coaches boxes or player shelters signage will cover no more than 25 percent of the internal surface

  • Scoreboard signage will cover no more than 25 percent of the surface. Signage must not detract from the purpose of the structure and must not be visible beyond the reserve

  • Cricket practice net signage is limited to two signs per net no greater than one metre by one metre

  • For other fenced facilities such as tennis and netball, signage must face inward and is limited to two signs per court no greater than one metre by one metre

  • Signs must not be painted directly onto the walls or roofs of any facility, building or structure

  • Freestanding signs will not be permitted except where there is no oval fencing or when extenuating circumstances can be demonstrated

  • All signs must acknowledge the name of the club being sponsored

  • Signs must be orientated to display inwards as not to be seen by passing traffic

  • Sporting clubs are not permitted to enter into commercial agreements to alter venue names or install signage pertaining to naming of the reserve on a permanent basis.

View our Recreation Reserve Advertising Signage Policy.

Approval process 

  • Applicants must submit their proposal via our online form and include a map of where the signage will be located and full colour designs, wording and dimensions. A Planning Permit may be required, however an exemption applies where the sign can not be seen from nearby land.

  • A Building Permit is required prior to the installation of any freestanding signs. Signs that are attached to buildings or structures may also require a building permit - these could be on walls, above the roof or illuminated signs.

  • Council officers will review the application and contact the applicant for more information if required.

  • Approval will be provided in writing to the applicant within 10 working days.

  • Not-for-profit organisations or community groups can apply to install a sign advertising their event within the Reserve that the event is being held.  Permission for placement of this signage will be limited to two weeks.   

Permission for the placement of signage will be limited to the 6 month period of seasonal sport allocations unless the application is supported by both the summer and winter seasonal sports users. Where Council manages land on behalf of the State Government, signage applications outside of the pre-approved area may also require permission through the relevant authority.

View our Apply for a Recreation Reserve Advertising Signage Permit page for full details.


Council Officers are able to provide further information on the application process as required.  Please contact our Recreation Liaison Officers.

Typical recreation reserve (not to scale)

Page last updated: Monday, 28 March 2022