COVID-19 Temporary outdoor dining for local businesses

The City is committed to working with businesses to quickly activate their outdoor spaces and to fast-track consideration of applications.


  1. TALK TO SOMEONE - If you want to speak to someone about outdoor dining, please contact us on 5272 5272 or email [email protected] and ask to speak with someone about outdoor dining opportunities and requirements
  2. APPLY NOW for a COVID-19 Temporary outdoor dining permit - we recommend reading the information and FAQs below first.
  1. APPLY FOR A FIXED FOOTPATH TRADING PERMIT, for proposed long term or permanent services on a footpath, unrelated to COVID-19 restrictions.


The City of Greater Geelong is here to make it as easy as possible for hospitality businesses to either start or expand their outdoor dining footprint to maximise the number of customers that are able to dine-in.

To support this, outdoor dining areas may be able to expand along the footpath or in some instances you may be able to make temporary use of open space or adjacent car parks, particularly if you are part of a group of neighbouring hospitality businesses. We all need to be clever and creative, and the City is ready to support you to do this.

There is no cost to commence or expand your outdoor dining footprint, as the City has waived all outdoor dining fees. We encourage you to start thinking how this can work for your business and encourage you to utilise existing space in the first instance and work with your neighbours and trader associations.

Please note this opportunity is temporary. City staff will continue to monitor if these approvals need to be extended or other arrangements put in place.

Apply for temporary outdoor dining

Steps before starting an application:

1. Talk with neighbouring businesses and local traders’ groups
Applications put forward by a collective group of businesses will be looked upon favourably. Now is the time to work together - disputes or disagreements about location of infrastructure and seating will delay applications.
2. Consider safety and access first
Not all streets are suitable for on-street dining. For example, businesses located on streets with speed limits at 60km/hr or above, or with limited car parking will not be suited. Think about how you can you locate seating so that pram and wheelchair access is maintained on footpaths at all times.
3. Liquor licensing
Visit to find out more about applying for a Temporary Limited Licence in al fresco areas.
4. COVID Safe Plan  
You must have a COVID Safe Plan and record all patron names and contact numbers. All additional Victorian Government advice regarding outdoor trading requirements for the hospitality sector must also be strictly followed.
5. Insurance
If you don’t already have public liability insurance for al fresco dining, you will need to obtain this urgently. You may need to extend existing insurance if you are looking to expand the area that you serve in.
6. State Government Grants
Visit Business Victoria to apply for grants of up to $5000 from the Victorian Government’s Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package. These grants can assist with purchasing practical items such as umbrellas and furniture.




More information

If you are interested in discussing your options, please email [email protected] or phone 5272 5272 and our staff will arrange a time to discuss your plans and how we can make it happen.

Page last updated: Tuesday, 8 December 2020