An owner-builder is defined as a person who constructs or renovates a building on their own land, who is not in the business of building. 

They are responsible for obtaining building permits, supervising or undertaking the building work, ensuring building work meet building regulations and standards.

If domestic building works are valued over $16,000, an owner-builder must first obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Victorian Building Authority.

To find out more about owner-builder requirements see the Victorian Building Authority website.

Page last updated: Monday, 10 July 2023