The Broderick Road recycling site in Lara is now being managed by a liquidator acting on behalf of the land owner, TASCO.
The site was abandoned by previous operator C&D Recycling and its director, David McAuliffe. The City continues to pursue legal action against Mr McAuliffe in an effort to hold him accountable for his actions.
The City will continue to work with the EPA and other agencies to ensure all steps are being taken to mitigate the risks to community health and safety.
Ongoing safety measures in place at the site include:
- Around the clock security patrols;
- Regular testing and monitoring of combustible materials;
- Earth moving, firefighting and heavy equipment on site;
- Installation of two 500,00 litre water tanks;
- Removal of large items (such as tyres) around the site perimeter;
- Construction of emergency vehicle access roads; and
- Clearing of vegetation.
The land owners are required to clean the site until it complies with the planning permit conditions. These conditions include maximum stockpile heights and types of materials allowed onsite.
What to do in case of a fire
Please stay away from the landfill fire if you do not need to be in the area.
If you live or work close by, avoid the smoke as much as possible by staying indoors until the fire is under control, or out. Keep windows and doors closed.
Reduce physical activity and, if you have an existing heart or lung condition, rest as much as possible.
View this page for up-to-date information about Broderick Road.
For fire warnings and updates, please refer to: