Only resident property owners currently receiving the recycling and waste
collection service charge may request additional bins.
Property owners can apply for additional red, yellow and/or green lid bin/s or to request a bin exchange for either red, yellow or green lid bins.
People requiring an additional bin for medical purposes will need to provide a medical certificate and state the reason for the additional bin.
You are not permitted to have:
- more than two red, two yellow, or two green lid bins
- a second red bin if you already have a 240 litre red lid bin.
Exchanging red lid bins
- swap your smaller bin for the large size (240 litres) or
- swap your two smaller registered and paid bins for the large size (240 litres)
Please note: changing from one small to one large involves a fee. Swapping two small for one large does not involve additional fees at the time of swapping.
Who can apply
Property owner, authorised property manager or body corporate secretary can apply. Tenants cannot apply, as the additional bins service charge will be added to the property Rate, Valuation and Charges Notice.
|140 litre garbage bin
|Exchange both 120/140 litre garbage bin to 240 litre garbage bin (red lid)
|240 litre recycling
bin (yellow lid)
|240 litre green waste bin (green lid)
Note: No refunds will be issued for upfront payments of additional bins.
To qualify for half a year, the application must be submitted in the second half of the financial year (after 1 January 2020). All applications received between 1 July and 31 December will be charged an annual fee.
There is no cost if the additional bin request is approved for medical purposes.
Apply for additional bin/s
Terms and conditions
- A maximum of one additional garbage and one additional recycling bin is available for each eligible household.
- The bin(s) will be delivered to the property once the application has been assessed and approved.
- Your application may take up to 10 working days to process.
- For future financial years, the annual charge
for the additional bin(s) will automatically be included on the Rates,
Valuation and Charges notice for the property (excludes medical purposes).
- The applicant shall maintain the bin in a sound and clean condition suitable for collection.
- The applicant must ensure that correct material for collection is contained within the bins.
- Additional bins are specifically allocated to each rated property and are not transferable between properties at any time.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellation of additional bin.
- Cancellations must be received by 30 June to avoid being charged for the next financial year.
- The applicant must give notice if the service is to be discontinued by completing the Cancellation Additional Bin Form.
- Bins will remain the property of the City of Greater Geelong at all times.
- Medical Purposes only - The applicant possesses a medical condition that is beyond their control (for example: dialysis) requiring disposal of waste that is beyond the capacity of the standard services to accommodate and provides a medical certificate will be exempt from an addition bin charge.