Health and beauty registration at home

If you are thinking of setting up a beauty and/or hairdressing salon at home you will need to be registered under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act.

There are also a number of other areas of Council you may need to speak to regarding your business.

What you need to do

Registration under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act and compliance with the relevant guidelines is arranged through our Environmental Health Services Unit.

There are other requirements that will need to be met.

Our Town Planning department has home occupation guidelines that must be complied with.

The guidelines and requirements that must be met include:

  • The person conducting the home based business must use the dwelling as their principal place of residence.
  • No more than two person who do not live in the dwelling may work in the home based business at any one time
  • The net floor area used in conducting the business including the storage of any materials or goods must not exceed 100 square metres or one-third of the net floor area of the dwelling, whichever is the lesser.  The net floor area of the dwelling includes out-buildings and works normal to a dwelling.
  • The business must not impose a load on any utility greater than normally required for domestic use.
  • The business must not adversely affect the amenity of the neighbourhood in any way including:
    • The appearance of any building, works or materials used
    • The parking of motor vehicles
    • The transportation of materials or goods to or from the dwelling
    • The hours of operation
    • Electrical interference
    • The storage of chemicals, gases or other hazardous materials
    • Emissions from the site
  • Only goods manufactured or serviced in the home based business may be offered for sale.  This requirement does not apply to goods offered for sale online.
  • No goods manufactured, serviced, repaired or offered for sale may be displayed so that they are visible from outside the site.
  • Any good offered for sale online must not be collected from the dwelling.

Our Town Planning Department will need to be contacted prior to any works occurring at your proposed salon.

Building fit outs may require a building permit. The simple installation of cabinets, floor or wall linings or change of use of a room or area from its original purpose may be the cause for a permit. Our Building Department should be contacted for determination on the need for a building permit.

After discussing your proposal with our Building and Planning Departments you will need to complete a Proposal to Register form, attach a copy of the proposed plans or photos taken of the space and pay the fee.

What we will do

When the form is received an Environmental Health Officer will assess your proposal. If it meets all the requirements you will receive an approval letter by mail or email.

Our Environmental Health Officer may also request further information and/or an inspection of the premises prior to approval being given.

We will complete an inspection prior to your business opening. Your premises can only open once you have completed all the above steps to the satisfaction of the officer.

Included with your approval letter will be an application to register your business under the Public Health & Wellbeing Act. This form and any payment, should be returned to us immediately so that a Health Registration Certificate can be sent to you, which is valid to 31 December each year.

What you should be aware of


If you are renting at the address where you want to set up the salon you will need to show us that the owner of the property approves of this business.


We may charge a commercial rate on land used for predominantly commercial activities. (For example:  where goods are made or services provided). Where the commercial activities are located with a predominantly residential land use, we may apply a Mixed Use Rate which is lower than the commercial rate but higher than the residential rate. The current rates are available in our Rating Strategy.

If you want to find out how this will affect your rates you should contact Council's Financial Services on 03 5272 4650.


If you wish to sell liquor at your premises, you are required to apply for and obtain a Liquor Licence. To apply for Liquor Licencing you need to contact Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulations.

You will also need to talk with our Town Planning Department regarding the proposal to sell liquor. In addition, liquor is classified as food, you will need to discuss this with our Environmental Health Officer for compliance under the Food Act 1984.

Page last updated: Thursday, 23 July 2020