Armstrong Creek - Frequently asked questions

Common questions about Armstrong Creek.

What planning processes will be used to achieve the vision?

The urban growth zone has been approved to all land within the Urban Growth Boundary previously zoned as farming.

The application of the urban growth zone does not, by itself, allow urban use and development to proceed. The urban growth zone is essentially a holding zone which reserves land for future urban development. The provisions of the urban growth zone reflect those of the farming zone, while allowing a small number of pioneering uses to be approved prior to the approval of a Precinct Structure Plan.

The urban growth zone applies different provisions to land depending on whether a Precinct Structure Plan applies. A Precinct Structure Plan applies when it is incorporated into the planning scheme.

Once development and a precinct is underway, the urban growth zone will be translated into an appropriate standard zone, for example: Residential 1 zone, Business 2 zone.

What is a Precinct Structure Plan?

In the urban growth zone, Precinct Structure Plans are the key documents that trigger the conversion of non-urban land into urban land allowing for permits to be issued for the subdivision and development of land for urban purposes. A Precinct Structure Plan is included in the Planning Scheme via a standard Planning Scheme Amendment process.

There are seven precincts in the growth area and each precinct will require a Precinct Structure Plan.

A Precinct Structure Plan is a long term strategic plan that describes how a precinct will be developed. Once a Precinct Structure Plan is approved, permits can be issued for subdivision and development.

Council will be following the lead of the Growth Areas Authority, which is the Authority responsible for delivering 37 Precinct Structure Plans in Melbourne’s growth areas.

What Precinct Structure Plans have been approved?

5 precincts have been approved:

  1. C207 - North East Industrial Precinct
  2. C214 - East Precinct
  3. C240 - West Precinct
  4. C259 - Horseshoe Bend Precinct
  5. C267 - Town Centre Precinct

What if I already own land in the growth area?

What is the staging plan for the development of land?
There is no staging plan for the growth area. Precinct Structure Plans will include staging.

When is the right time for me to sell my land in the growth area?

We cannot advise on this issue. Land owners will need to seek their own advice outside of Council.

My land is currently zoned Residential 1/ Industrial 1, can I develop the land?

It is suggested that you contact Council’s Statutory Planning Department on 5272 4456 to discuss your property.

Can land outside the Armstrong Creek urban growth boundary be developed?

The majority of land to the south of the Urban Growth Boundary is located in the Farming Zone. It is suggested that you contact Council’s Statutory Planning Department on 5272 4456 to discuss your property.

How long will it take to develop all of Armstrong Creek?

It is anticipated that the growth area will be fully developed within 10 - 25 years depending on regional and state housing growth rates.


Is there any hobby farm land planned?

No hobby farm type land will be provided in the growth area. Geelong Council has nominated rural living nodes (hobby farm land) at Lovely Banks, Lara and Wallington.

How can I obtain contract work in the growth area?

Roads, footpaths, lighting, park land, housing lots and other infrastructure will be constructed by developers rather than Council. As such, contractors should contact developers to ascertain whether any contracting opportunities exist.

How will my Council rates be affected?

How are Council Rates calculated?
Rate are calculated based on property valuations in accordance with Council’s published Rating Strategy and the Local Government Act 1989. The City of Greater Geelong, like many other Councils has determined that capital improved value is the basis for the calculation of rates. More about your rates.

How is the valuation of my property determined?

Council is required to undertake a general property revaluation every two years in accordance with State Government legislation. Learn more about your property valuation.

How does the change in zoning affect my valuation?

A zoning change may not immediately affect the valuation of a property. It is only when the zoning change is reflected in the sales prices for property sales in the area that the valuation will be affected. Where there is speculation buying the land valuation may increase before the rezoning is completed. The valuations determined by the valuers reflect the highest and best use of the land. In cases where the potential land use is changing, the sales values used to determine the land valuation can reflect the new use of the land.

For example, where land zoning changes from farming to residential it is possible that the sale value of the property will reflect the value as subdivisional land. The site value may increase out of proportion with the capital improved value of the property. In this case the value of past improvements made to the land may become inconsequential.

In some areas of Armstrong Creek where land is capable of subdivision, and sales to developers have occurred, the land will be revalued as potential sub divisional land rather than residential or farm land.

When will my rates increase?

Council valuations and rates will change in line with changes to sales values, not necessarily immediately in line with zoning. Please refer to the property valuation page above for more information.

How can I find out more about my property rates?

Contact us to discuss you rates further.

Page last updated: Monday, 4 April 2022