Understanding each other is not difficult.
In the community
- Speak in an age-appropriate tone of voice.
- Let the person finish what they want to say in their own time.
- Allow time to think and respond. If you haven’t understood what was said, ask the person to repeat it or spell it out.
In the workplace
- Use clear, simple language but don’t be condescending.
- Make instructions brief and sequential.
- It may be helpful to write information down or to use pictures. Ask if this is helpful before doing it. Don’t get frustrated if you have to repeat yourself.